Welcome to skim.it and thank you for skimming! Whether you have just become a skimmer or you have skimmed all the links you can get your hands on, these terms and conditions (the “Terms”) explain how you can access and use skim.it (our “Website”) and it also lets you know what will happen with any of the Content (defined below).
Who we are
Skim.it is operated by Tethered Media Limited (trading as Skim.it). We are registered in England and Wales under company number 08858281 with our registered office at 182 Worcester Road, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire B61 7AZ.
The term “we” or “us” refers to Skim.it. Whenever we use the word “you” then we are talking about you or any other users.
If you do have any problems or any questions, no matter how big or small or technical, then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at the address above and someone from the Skim.it team will reply!
What do we mean by the “Content”? The term “Content” includes, without limitation, the information, text, data, web pages, software, scripts, URLs, curated URLs, graphics, videos, audio clips, written posts, topics and comments, images, photos or other materials that you have either uploaded or downloaded, and any interactive features generated, provided, or otherwise made accessible on or through the Website.
Skim.it and your skims
Our Website is all about the skims that you save or share with us and with other skimmers. Our Website is made available free of charge to all users with a basic Skim.it account. We will let you know if this changes or if we decide to offer different Skim.it account packages. Before you can get started you must create your Skim.it account. The information you provide us must be accurate and complete. Our Website should only be used for your personal use. All of our skimmers must be 13 years or older. Remember to keep your login details and password for your account confidential. Don’t share it with any third party.
Subject to these terms, we grant you a limited, non-exclusive, transferable and revocable licence to use our Services. You own all of the Content that you share or otherwise make available on Skim.it but where any of your Content includes any intellectual property rights that belong to you (if any) then you give us (and our business partners) a non-exclusive transferable, irrevocable, worldwide, perpetual, sublicensable and royaltyfree licence to use any of this Content for the purposes of operating the Website, and developing, providing and delivering the Services. What does this mean? This means that we can use any of your Content anywhere in the world in any format without your permission; don’t worry, you still own your Content (to the extent that you own it yourself and it does not belong to any third party). You also give us the right to edit, modify, copy and publicly display your Content for any purpose.
Remember that any Content that you make publicly available will be viewed and accessed by other users that access the Website, and you also give them a non-exclusive transferable, irrevocable, worldwide, perpetual, sublicensable and royaltyfree licence to post, upload, adapt or modify your Content.
Our Intellectual Property Rights
The Skim.it team has spent a lot of time developing our Website and the Skim.it platform. This is our platform and we (and any of our licensors) exclusively own all right, title and interest in and to the Website, the applications, the Services offered and the Website content, including all associated intellectual property rights. You cannot remove or use anything from our Website containing our content without our permission.
The Skim.it word and logo are trade marks of Tethered Media Limited.
Please write to us at email@example.com if you would like to use our Content or our trade marks somewhere else other than the Website.
In connection with your use of our Website you agree that:
- you will not post, upload, transmit or otherwise make available any Content or take any action on our Website that breaks the law or affects anyone else’s rights, this includes anyone’s intellectual property rights or rights of privacy;
- your skims and your Content will not be defamatory, hateful, offensive or discriminatory;
- you will not use your personal profile to make money unless we have agreed to it expressly in writing - if you are proposing to engage in any form of money making activity on the Website you must get our approval first. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org including full details of the proposed activity you will not bully, intimidate or harass any other user;
- you will not use another skimmer’s Content or other information without their permission;
- you will not upload any viruses or any other mean and malicious computer or software codes (please also refer to the section below); and
- you will not do anything to our Website that will prevent other users from being able to enjoy it
How do we look after skim.it?
Please respect how we would like our Website to be used. Please remember this:
- we can remove any Content or information that you post on your profile and on the Website in general if we believe that you break these Terms and our ethos in general;
- when you register, you’ll be asked to set up your profile with a user name and password. Keep your password safe and to yourself!;
- we may have to provide your identity to any third party who has written to us and has said that any material posted or uploaded by you to our Website constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy;
- although we have no control over your skims (we don’t review them before they go live), we do have the ability to remove all or parts of your Content. The reason for this is that other users or other people may be offended by what you post. We will not be responsible or liable to you or any other people for your Content or the accuracy of any of the materials that you post on your profile, or any other part of our Website;
- if you repeatedly infringe someone else’s intellectual property rights (i.e. use their intellectual property rights without their permission) we will disable your account. Please send us an email to email@example.com if you are worried that another user is using your intellectual property without your permission;
- we ask all of our skimmers to ensure that that the authors or creators of any Content have been properly acknowledged or credited. Whilst we have taken some steps to minimise the risk of copyright infringement by trying to ensure that skims originate from “free-to-view” internet content, there is of course a risk that the Content belongs to a third party. No copyright infringement is intended and if you are the owner of any of the material used on our Website, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org;
- we are not liable for or responsible for any reliance placed on any Content posted by you or any other visitor to our Website;
- the views expressed by other users on our Website do not represent our views or values;
- if you access any other websites or resources provided by third parties, we have no control over the contents of those websites or resources and we are not responsible for any other website. Any links to these websites or resources from our Website are provided for information only.
- we can’t confirm that our Website is appropriate or available for use outside England and Wales. If you access our Website from any other country then you bear your own risk.
We cannot guarantee that our Website, or any content on it, will always be available or uninterrupted. Access to our Website is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our Website without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our Website is unavailable at any time or for any period.
We do not guarantee that our Website will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform in order to access our Website. You should use your own virus protection software. Please let us know immediately if your account has been compromised.
You must not misuse our Website by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our Website, the server on which our site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our site. You must not attack our site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, you can say goodbye to your account and access to your account will cease immediately.
We will not be liable to any user for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, our Website; or
- use of or reliance on any content displayed on our Website;
- any loss of data, loss of goodwill or damage to reputation (i.e. yours), or any savings that have been lost; or
- any data that you lose or for any damage caused if harmful material affects your computer equipment, computer programmes, data or any other of your material as a result of your using our Website or if you have downloaded any material from our Website or any other Content linked to it.
If we are found to be responsible then we will be required to pay you £50, which is the limit of our liability to you.
Please note that we have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our Website constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
We will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any Content posted by you or any other user of our Website.
If you do not follow these Terms or if you otherwise create any risks to us or other skimmers or others we can suspend or stop you from using all or part of our Website. We may also delete your account or disable your profile at any time. If we terminate or suspend your access rights, any other right or relief we may have will not be affected.
General legal information
Keep reading! Before we finish, we also need to tell you the following:
- these Terms may be changed from time to time, and when we do this we’ll let you know on our Website. By continuing to use our Website we will take this as meaning that you agree and accept our updated Terms. You should check our Terms from time to time to make sure that you are happy with any changes;
- our Website is not a permanent fixture on the internet, and therefore your use of our Website is only ever on a temporary basis. We are allowed to stop, amend or suspend the service we provide via our Website without letting you know (see below). We are not responsible if for any reason our Website is unavailable at any time or for any period;
- you may not reproduce, modify, copy, publish, distribute, use or make available to nonskimmers for any reason whatsoever (whether in print or electronic form) any of the content, information, logos, designs, names, pictures, texts, graphics, copyrights, trade marks, service marks or any other materials on or from our Website without our prior written permission;
- our skims, comments and other materials posted on our Website or any forum are not intended to amount to advice and you should not rely on these. We are not liable or responsible in the event that you or any visitor to our Website relies on any of our materials or postings or is informed of any of its contents;
- to the extent permitted by law, we, other members of our group of companies and third parties connected to us exclude all conditions, warranties and other terms which may otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of equity;
- we are allowed to pass on (assign) our benefits or subcontract all or any of our obligations under these Terms;
- neither of us is liable to the other in the event that we do not perform any obligation under these Terms if we have been unable to do so as a result of something beyond our reasonable control (known as an event of force majeure);
- neither of us will be affected by any delay or failure in exercising or any partial exercising of our (or your) rights under these Terms unless one of us have signed an express written waiver or release;
- if you are not a party to these Terms you will not have any right to enforce them pursuant to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999; and
- if any provision of these Terms is or becomes illegal, invalid or unenforceable under the law of any country, that will not affect or prevent:
- the legality, validity or enforceability in that country of any other provision of these Terms; or
- the legality, validity or enforceability under the law of any other country of that or any other provision of these Terms.
Last updated: 27 February 2015.