Skim.it is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), the data controller is Tethered Media Limited trading as Skim.it of 182 Worcester Road, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire B61 7AZ. This means that we decide what we do with your personal data.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us.
You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our website skim.it (“our website”) or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our website; subscribe to our service; search for a skim or any other search; participate in discussion boards, interactive services or other social media functions on our website; enter a competition, promotion or survey; submit, share or post a skim; or when you report a problem with our website. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, social media identifier, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph.
- Information we collect about you.
With regard to each of your visits to our website we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit to our website, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time); traffic data, location data, and other communication data; skims you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page)
We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
We may collect information about your computer, mobile device or portable device including, where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual and is not linked to any of your personal information.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to ensure that content provided to you as part of the Services is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your portable device and to continue to make general improvements to the website and the Services we offer;
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
- to administer any Skim.it competitions;
- as part of our efforts to keep our Services safe and secure;
- [to enable us to update the Skim.it notice board];
- to allow you to participate in the interactive features provided as part of the Services, when you choose to do so and where offered;
- to notify you about changes to the Services;
- if you have participated in a Skim.it competition, if you share any skims, and if you post any comments or content on any part of the website, Skim.it will publish that information publicly via the website.
- we will share your Skim.it username with our Skim.it users. We will not share your first and last name or email address with other skimmers except with your consent or as otherwise provided for in this policy (in most cases this will be a user that has shared one of your skims, another user that has commented on the same skim as you or someone who has also posted to the same [chat room/notice board]); and
Third party accounts
Skim.it users can also register to join skim.it by logging into online accounts you may have with third party service providers (“Third Party Account”), for example Facebook, via our website. As part of the functionality of the website, you may link your Skim.it account with that Third Party Account by either: (i) providing your Third Party Account login information to Skim.it; or (ii) allowing Skim.it access to your Third Party Account, as permitted under the applicable terms and conditions that govern your use of each Third Party Account. (This means that you also accept and agree that we can collect your Third Party Account login details (not including your password or security information). You warrant that you are entitled to disclose such information to Skim.it.
Disclosure of your information
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
To serve you better, we may combine the information that you give us with publicly available information and information we receive from or cross-reference with our marketing partners and others. We use this combined information so that we can enhance and personalise your experience with us, to communicate with you about our existing and new Services and events that may be of interest to you, and for other promotional purposes.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in Cardiff). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our website.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Skim.it or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by skim.it about our users will be one of the transferred assets.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers located in the United States. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure.
Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
When you register to use Skim.it or if you participate in a survey, you may have the opportunity to sign up for e-mails about our services and special offers. We may also send you mail, e-mail or call you with information about our service offerings only if you have provided us with your name and address, e-mail address or phone number and if you have agreed to receiving such additional emails and information.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes.
You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at email@example.com. Please see the "Privacy Preferences/Opt-Out" section below for further information.
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Information sharing disclosure requests
If you are a California resident, you have the right to request one “Notice of Information-Sharing Disclosure” per year which will identify the third parties with whom we or any of our affiliates has shared the personal information we have collected from you. You may request the Notice of Information-Sharing Disclosure by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your request for a Notice of Information-Sharing Disclosure within 30 days following receipt of your request.
Privacy preferences/opt out
You can update your privacy settings at any time on your personal account page. You can also register and change your preferences to receive or not receive marketing materials. You may update these preferences at any time. Please allow sufficient time for your preferences to be processed.
You may also change your marketing preferences or remove yourself from our mailing list by clicking on an "unsubscribe" hyperlink contained in promotional emails we send you or by e-mailing us at email@example.com.
Please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
Last updated: 1 April 2015.